May 24, 2011

In the Spring...

There are a lot of beautiful sayings,
celebrating the joy of spring....

but,  my favorite is simple...

In the spring,
at the end of the day,
you should smell like dirt...
Margaret Atwood

the child in my heart delights in playing
in the dirt all day :-)

(click photo to enlarge)

I planted a small pot of Stocks by the back door,
I love the smell of stocks...

but they never grow well for me
so I only indulge a bit...


I mixed them with fragrant Nemesia,
in a little white painted basket...


(the Nemesia has a strong vanilla scent, Mmmm)...



I have been really into scent this week
and also picked up a couple Spanish Lavenders
 also for planters...

the blooms remind me of butterflies
so I added my butterfly stake to the planter...


the garden is exploding in color...

I learned when I posted the Lily of the Valley last week,
and compared it to my post from last year...
that they were blooming almost
a month late...

Now it seems the garden is playing catch up!


and everything is blooming at once...


the lady bugs are working hard...


the old watering cans are being kept busy too...


Do you remember the Lavender Poppies from last year?
If not you can see them here...
the little guys are just popping up all over the place....

if I mailed you seeds,
how are yours doing?


Deutzia and friend...
(see the tiny ant?)


the Snowballs are on the cusp of opening..

I love them at this stage best,
when the are still tinged with green...


I love the magical look of Allium in the garden
and don't have near enough...


this Allium Liliaceae
is another plant
I think is beautiful pre-bloom...


Columbine in the darkest purple...


the first Iris of the year,
made it inside to be enjoyed...

Today I am joining...
and

Thanks for strolling with me today....
now go get dirty :-)

26 comments:

Jean said...

It's so fun to check the garden a couple times a day and see something new. Your photos are beautiful. Great Bloomin' Tuesday post. Jean

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

Bella, your garden is inspiring and lovely! Please post the snowballs when they are fully open. I love them!

Blondie's Journal said...

Your garden is looking wonderful and I look forward to a whole summer of following it along! :-)

XO,
Jane

perennialgardener said...

Your garden is full of pretty blooms. :)

Vintage Gal said...

Bella ~ what gorgeous blooms. I agree, I love to smell like dirt and enjoy playing in the mud ;-)

Mary said...

Your garden is filled with beauty! I love the variety of plants, many I've never heard of until you taught me. Thanks for sharing at The Little Round Table. I "followed" your blog.

Mary @ Redo 101

Candy @ The Little Round Table said...

Beautiful garden and images! Some of my favorites too. My Deutzia didn't bloom very well this year with all the rain beating it down. :(

Thanks so much for joining the party,
Candy

Larry said...

Your blog continues to amaze me... the consistency in use of color particularly! Larry

Donna Heber said...

Hi Bella,

I hope this comment finally goes through. Your garden pictures are stunning, especially the Allium. Thank you for sharing your beautiful gardens with us.

Cindy said...

Ahhhhhhhh - your garden is BEAUTIFUL! I'm with you, i love the scent of stock, it's one of my favorites...

Cindy

Marianne said...

I do like that quote! Yesterday I replanted a miniature rose bush into a larger pot. I hadn't done anything like that in many years, and forgot how good it felt to work in the soil with lovely growing things.

Your flowers are wonderfully made.

Blessings,
Marianne

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Bella, I love that quote and am going to print it out! I so agree! My flowers are all about 3 weeks to a month late this year too. The result is that the trees lost their flowers quickly, as did the azaleas! But the rhodies are coming out in amazing profusion, so we'll see how they last. Thank you for the beautiful photos and a reminder of that glorious smell of spring dirt from my childhood! Linda

Darla said...

Your spring gardens are looking beautiful..I have some red breadseed poppy seeds if you are interested in a trade. I have already began the seed collecting here.

sarah said...

I think God gave us flowers to make us smile and love that atwood quote...nothing like smelling dirt in the springtime!!!

Mac_fromAustralia said...

Such pretty photos!

Marianne said...

Bella, you have such a stunning garden, I am so envious. And you garden pictures are just beautiful. How I wish I could plant some of these beauties here. I'm now following!
Marianne :)

KAT said...

love your photos... I adore purple flowers

Brenda @ It's A Beautiful Life said...

Enjoyed your posting... such lovely floral photos. Don't you almost wish that cyberspace could send the fragrance as well?

I LOVE stocks.... and that iris is lovely!

Henrietta said...

So beautiful and you are ahead from us, I mean in blooming. So much to see there, my alliums are just starting pearly.
Greetings from Finland

Marie said...

Oh Bella - everything is looking really lovely. I especially love the snowballs! Are those hydrangea family? I'm trying my best to find them around here in San Diego so I can plant, but haven't found them yet.

Happy Cottage flora Thursday!
-Marie

Linda Makiej said...

Marvelous!!!! Great captures....

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady. I love coming over to see you Bella ~~ So Beautiful I enjoyed all your post. I do miss your comments~~~~ I hope you and your family have a Great Memorial Day weekend.
XXOO
Diane

Melynda said...

I have noticed Spanish Lavender, loved how it looked, but did not know the name, until visiting here. Thanks.

Dayle said...

Beautiful! My daylilies are almost in bloom. Can't wait to see their lovely faces.

Barb said...

Hi Bella,
Your garden flower picturs have blown me away.They are so beautiful.And such good quote--inspires me to go outside to see what I can see.
God Bless
Barb from Australia

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Everything looks so pretty! You have combined the colors in a spectacular way. I love the scent of stock too, my favorites are the Imperial variety. Have a great day!