May 15, 2011

Painting and Potting... repost...

Hi everyone,
I hope you had a fabulous weekend!

This is a re-post of Fridays post
when Blogger had it's mini meltdown...
If you have already seen it I apologise

.......................................
Yesterday we had a sunny and not windy day
at the same time :-)

So I ran to the nursery and home improvement store,
I think everyone in the state was there...
we have been needing a day like that!

(click photos to enlarge)

I have a pair of these hanging pots
 so I picked up basket stuffers...


and I picked up paint,
the hanging pots were black iron last year
and I spent the whole year wishing
 they were shabby white...


now they are a better match for the birdie hanger...


this is the view out my office window,
it's so nice to see the green filling in in the trees!


I love to make up my own basket mixes each year,
that way I can always try something new...

this year I used a Dahlia in the center,
I don't do a lot with Dahlias
 and it said it would bloom all summer
so well see...

the fillers are
 Bacopa,  Brachyscome, Viola, Alyssum and Verbena...
I always use Verbena
 it keeps the Hummingbirds happy,
and they make me happy :-)




I thought these were the prettiest Viola,
the colors are so soft,  like a watercolor painting...




 It was a wonderful day!
I love to plant!




and as if...
all the sunshine and planting fun wasn't enough...

Look at this sweet bluebird pie bird
that showed up in my mailbox this morning!!

Sweet Sweet Sarah at Hyacinths for the Soul
sent me this happy little guy!

The thoughtfulness of the ladies in blogland
never fails to make me smile!!

and Sarah,
you even won my husband's heart on this one!!
"now you gotta make a pie!"  he said.
Thank you so much!!

Today I am joining...

and

Have a Great Weekend!

23 comments:

Farah Muzaffar said...

Hi Bella ...Beautiful flowers dear ... your violas are so tender looking just beauty very delicate ....
Hope you like to visit and love to feel the beauty and fragrance of flowers at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Amanda said...

Hi Bella! What a lovely post! Your pots are gorgeous! The little pansies are especially delightful and I think you described them perfectly when you compared them to a water color painting. Happy Spring!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Sheila said...

Beautiful! I created my own window box following some inspiration from the BH&G website. It is almost all white!

Cozy Home Scenes said...

Hi Bella! It's been a while since I've found time to visit, but I love this post. Beautiful flowers.....and I haven't even started my garden this year. I agree the white containers look better. With all the white with your house and acccessories, the black was probably too harsh. The white is just perfect with the pretty spring colors of your garden.

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Hi, Bella! Saw your blog on another's blogroll... what a pretty blog you have! Love all of your photos! So pretty.
Best,
Gloria

Larry said...

You certainly do a marvelous job with all the details... I never quite make it that far and am amazed at how you manage... you must be really organized! You have one of the most beautiful blogs I've had the pleasure of visiting... Larry

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

The basket turned out beautiful. The pansies are done here so it was so nice to see yours and that is the softest lavender color. Enjoy the sunshine.

Kelly_Deal said...

Gorgeous basket!
Kelly

Honey at 2805 said...

Beautiful - the planter and the basket. I really like the details!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

everything is starting to really bloom, from all our rain my viola's look like they are steroids!

Charlene said...

I LOVE your hanging basket & agree that shabby white far out weighs black in this case. I have had those woven grass liners in baskets before & had no luch as the birds use it to make their nests & soon the soil is spilling out. I am anxious to see if you fare better in this... I love your choice of flowers... ENJOY!
Charlene

NanaDiana said...

Bella- It looks beatufil there-your planters are gorgeous! I love your header too! I did not see this before so I am glad I caught it this time! Hugs- Diana

Sherri said...

Bella, I think the hanging basket looks so much better in white too than the black. It is beautiful!!

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Awesome mix in the basket! I bought pale lilac verbena for the hummingbirds, too, and nearly killed it forgetting it indoors so the frosts don't kill it until late May!

Love brachycome daisies...happy you found them as they sell out ASAP.

xxooo

Sandy

3. said...

pretty blog you have! Love all of your photos.Gorgeous basket.I really like the details.join us at Art-Profiles. thanx

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Bella
Although I prefer my wrought iron black, I really like the paint colour change on your hanging planter.
My office window faces the neighbour's dining room window and a lot of brick - boring!
The little pie birdie is adorable and will look at home poking his head out of a sweet treat.
Hugs,
Judith

Olive Cooper said...

Your hanging basket is beautiful. I make my own mixed container of plants too and it is a lot of fun.

Madelief said...

Dear Bella,

Your hanging baskets turned out beautifully!!

Lieve groet, Madelief x

Passionate for White said...

I had not seen it so I really appreciate the re-post as the pics are beautiful.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Love the idea of painting the planters white! Your flowers are so pretty in them, love the combinations. I've just gotten started on containers this past week. Looks like we should have nice weather later this week.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your hanging baskets are beautiful! I like to mix my own flowers too.
Happy Met Monday!

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Hi Bella,
Love the basket; I like to make up my own baskets too, with different flowers every year. I love the birdie hanger, he's so cute and I'm LOVING your new bluebird pie bird! Precious!!!!

Terry said...

The flowers and the hanger are wonderful, but the pie bird is 2-die-4! Lucky you!