Jun 20, 2011

Crying Uncle....

Well.. yes,
I am going to talk about the rain again today :-)

I know it is expected to rain a lot up here
in the Pacific Northwest....

(click photos to enlarge)

and I know that if I won a million bucks in the lottery
I wouldn't leave....

I love it here,
I even love the rain...

The cozy way it sounds on the roof...

the way it pushes the scent of the garden down
smothering you in it's rich fragrance...

and on a practical note...
I love not having to drag the garden hose around,
 too much :-)


but I am tired of looking at grey skies....
I am crying Uncle today!


Do you remember my Locust tree
I shared last week?

I said how she has never looked so good...


On Saturday we had a lot of rain...

her heavy load of flowers was too much to hold
when it was dripping wet...

she lost a branch...


the rain just wouldn't stop...

throughout the night I heard
 little crashing noises in the garden,

it took me awhile to realize
what was happening...


she lost nearly all her branches...


the ground is covered in pink snow...

It has been making me think of the Thornbirds...
I don't remember much about the book,
but have always found the first paragraph haunting...

There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life,
 more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth.
From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree,
 and does not rest until it has found one.
 Then, singing among the savage branches,
 it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine.
 And, dying, it rises above its own agony
 to out-carol the lark and the nightingale.
 One superlative song, existence the price.
But the whole world stills to listen,
and God in His heaven smiles.
For the best is only bought at the cost of great pain....
Or so says the legend.



I often ponder
about the beauty of roses...

the bud...
a symbol of romance
and promise...

always pales in comparison..


to the beauty in a tender delicate blooms
last blush...

her last song...


so today...
I cleaned up from the Locust Trees last song...

ponder the life cycle of the garden
(she will be mulched and feed fresh new blooms)...

and play with glorious blooms she left behind...


today I am joining...

Thanks for stopping by....

29 comments:

Marie said...

What a lovely post Bella. You are blessed to have all the rain up there. That's why your garden is always such a beauty! It's the opposite here in SoCal. We're craving the rain.
-Marie

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh I am so sorry, glad the last look before was of her beauty...

JayLeigh said...

Oh, that is so sad! I'm so sorry. :*-( What beautiful blossoms!

Sarah said...

I'm so sad you lost your beautiful tree, Bella. I know how painful it is to have a tree taken from you. This is a beautiful post! ~ Sarah

NanaDiana said...

I an sad that your beautiful tree has fallen to the rain. How sad that something that should bring beauty and pleasure can go overboard and bring devastation and painful reminders of what once was.

I have always loved the Thornbirds and remember that passage well. It is kind of haunting, isn't it?

Blessings as you clean up your garden and move onward with that life cycle. xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

Don't mind my mistypes-I am working with a new laptop and my fingers are fumbling to find the right keys! ugh...

Lady Farmer said...

Oh, dear! I was simply enchanted by your locust tree! I even did a little research to find where I might purchase one, thinking it was so beautiful! So sad that the heavy rains have ruined your lovely tree. Is she totally gone? Will you replace it with another just like it?
The last couple of winters, the snow has taken it's toll on our decades old apple trees in the orchard. Branches snapping off leaving gaping holes. :~{
I still love the rain. I don't do well in the heat, so our cool springs and not to hot summers suit me to a T! A little more of that golden sunshine would be nice this year, though. We should see a bit tomorrow, they say. :~P

Lounging with a Latte said...

Sad to see the big branch from your locust tree gone, but glad you made the most of it and took some lovely photos of the blooms.

Mrs.Rabe said...

Oh, she was looking so beautiful! Hopefully she will come back strong and bloom well again next year!

Your garden is so lovely...I hope you get some blue skies soon!

Deanna

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh...I feel so bad about your tree. It really was lovely, the blooms so pretty. We have had a lot of tree damage, too, due to high winds, but we haven't lost anything as beautiful as this. Hang in there.

XO,
Jane

laurie said...

such a lovely garden,, sad to see the end of blossoms but the pleasure was great,

Tete said...

So sad, great post and happy she was so glorious before she was taken. Blessings to you as your garden is changed forever...
Hugs- Tete

Susan said...

Hello Bella...That was a very poignant post. Very nicely done. Susan

Carolyn said...

Hi Bella,
It must be so disappointing to lose a lot of your locust tree-will it come back in a couple of years from the rest?
I love the rose pics and the verse from Thornbirds was an added bonus.

Carolyn

Rob said...

It must have been heartbreaking to come out to find what had happened to the tree.

Donna Heber said...

Hi Bella,

Sorry to hear about your Locust tree branch. Your rose blooms are gorgeous.

Zoey said...

Oh, your poor tree. I do hope it stops raining there soon! In my area, I am hoping to get rain today so I don't have to drag out my hose.

Rosemary said...

Bella what a gorgeous tree to have lost it branch hopefully will recover with out too much trouble. Lovely rose . Hope your rain stops soon and sun brightens your world.

Darla said...

Sorry about that beautiful tree, perhaps it will take it as a pruning and grow even more beautiful. I will glady take some of your rain.

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Bella
Well, it's possible to have too much of a good thing. Rain so often has already saturated the soil, trees and plants resulting in the tragedy you're experiencing. This would be heartbreaking to any gardener.
We, on the other hand are due for a good rain which is supposed to come tonight and tomorrow.
Guess you'll be busy cleaning up, I hope your gazebo didn't get damaged?
Hugs,
Judith

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your tree Bella! I hope this just means that it will come back stronger than ever:@)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Who could possibly imagine this? Bummer! Such a beauty. Even this post is beautiful with her blossoms. Beautiful passage from the Thorn Birds too. Maybe you'll be able to shape things up. I just can't imagine so much rain! But it's officially summer! I hope it's wonderful for you, Bella!

Jean said...

Lovely post! I hope that your tree will begin to grow again. Jean

Bet said...

Sad to hear you lost a branch of your lovely locust tree, but at least it was just a branch! you have the tree still.

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

*sorry* I messed up on the comment. I am so sorry about your tree. I loved the Thorn Birds. Meggie is one of my favorite literary characters. I always wanted an Ashes of Roses dress like Meggie's.

Queen of The Desert said...

Sweet post. It makes me miss the rainy days so much.

Deb said...

I enjoyed your post and your beautiful roses. I've been to the Pacific northwest once about 10 years ago. It rained 9 days out of 10. :)

Lydia said...

You make every visit worthwhile.

I had forgotten the haunting beauty of the Thornbirds. Thank you for the reminder