Jul 26, 2011

Lavender Farm...

On Sunday Mike and I visited a local Lavender Farm,
I thought you would like to come along for a peak...

(click photos to enlarge)

It is a newer farm run by a super nice couple...
Jerry and Barbara Hulscher...

We arrived early and were the only ones there,
the smell was amazing,
it was so quiet and peaceful!

Last year we went to Sequim, Wa
to Lavender Festival,
which although amazing!
has become commercial and so busy,
so this was a real treat!


I never see a field of Lavender without thinking about Shug
in the movie the Color Purple...

"I think it pisses God off
 when you walk by the color purple in a field
 and don't notice it"....


they give you cute baskets to lay your cuttings..

I brought home four bundles
and made a wreath I shared here...

and I have a couple bundles left for sachets...


this white Lavender is called White Spears...

I loved it as a backdrop to the purple,
I thought about bringing a bush home..

but don't know where I would put it,
the bushes must have been 4' across!


loved the layering of the colors....


because of our cool summer
a lot of the bushes have yet to come into bloom....

so if you are local,
there is plenty of time left to enjoy the farm....






as a young reluctant gardener,
who spent most of her Saturday mornings weeding...

my persistent question was
"is this a weed?"
to which the reply was...
"a Rose in a cornfield is a weed"....

my father wasn't a cottage style gardener,
and I liked the Shasta Daisy in the Lavender field just fine :-)


the girls came along..

and although they had a good time,
they did not find the smell of Lavender relaxing...

(I still need to increase my shutter speed,  sorry)

they spent most of the morning doing this....


yes there is always a rose....

did you see the bee,
  loaded down with Lavender pollen?
I would love to find his hive :-)


Today I am joining...
and


Thanks for coming along....

24 comments:

pinksnowme said...

I was just going to ask what type of camera you use to capture such amazing photos. You seem to capture the essence of each flower and setting.
I can smell the lavender from here
Breathing deeply
Thank you again for taking us on such a lovely journey

Kelsie From Our Country Home said...

OH MY...How delightful...I would love to have a lavender/sheep farm...I can not think of anything more wonderful that seeing those views and smelling those smells every day.

*sigh*

Blessings Kelsie

Michelle said...

I'd love to visit a Lavendar farm..beautiful pictures

Jenny @ Faith and Pearl said...

What a beautiful farm! Your pics are amazing. Thanks so much also for sharing your own lovely garden with us. I click over here often.....you see, here in Texas, it's so hot by now most of my flowers have bloomed out and are gone until fall. We were in Washington this time last year and oh how I miss it!! Thanks again for sharing your beautiful photos with us :)

xoxo
jenny

janice15 said...

It's just wonderful . . . I love lavender. I want to get a lavender plant but my daughter is always saying no mom they attract bee's..but they are beautiful thanks for sharing..janice

Janet said...

beautiful photos of the lavender farm. I hope to visit one some day.

Honey at 2805 said...

I can almost smell the lavender!

Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! If there are 500 entries, the Gift Card will increase to $100.
Honey

stefanie said...

oh, how fun!!!! its beautiful!!!!!

Pamela Gordon said...

Gorgeous photos Bella! I have never seen white lavender before. Your girls look like they were having fun. Cute.

Gracie's Cottage said...

Thanks for taking us there; I've been trying to grow it in this less than ideal climate for years...it never quite reaches it's potential!

Jan

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Oh Bella, this is such a soothing & beautiful post!!! I can almost smell the scent of lavender through my screen!!! lol I wonder if lavender can grow here? Maybe it's too hot? I'm a beginner gardener...hopefully I can learn some tips from you as you post. :) Have a wonderful day!

XO's,
Jessie

Blondie's Journal said...

Bella...you take the best pictures!! I'd love to visit a lavender farm. I'm sure I'd come home with a bush or two!! I adore the smell and have a few sachets in my drawers. I saw your wreath and it's gorgeous!!

Love seeing pictures of your two sweeties, too!

XO,
Jane

Heaven's Walk said...

What a beautiful day you both had, Bella. I can just smell that wonderful lavender - my favorite scent! I would have been tempted to bring home a whole truckload of the stuff!

xoxo laurie

Jordyn said...

You have a beautiful blog! I'm new to blogging and just searching for blogs and so glad I stumbled across yours! Look forward to returning!

Kate said...

I have always wanted to go to a lavender farm. I tried on my last trip to Washington...I was too late...
Lovely photos.

It's Just Dottie said...

It must have been heavenly to have been there.
Smiles,
Dottie

Trish - Sweetology101 said...

deeeeeeep siiiiiiiigh...I can just smell the lavender and feel the warm breeze. I love cooking with lavender, it is such a nice garnish too. I have a recipe for lavender panna cotta that I just might have to get out of the archives. cheers!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I would love a visit to those beautiful fields! Your photos are wonderful! Some fresh lavender would be a big lift. Your doggie peeps sure have loads of character! Nice that you could take an outing with them.

Barb said...

We have a lavender farm about 1 1/2 hours from us. I absolutely loved visiting there! Lavender is my favorite scent.

I have a few plants in my herb garden, though I would love to have more varieties like the one with the dark purple flowers that pop out randomly on the flower buds.

i beati said...

Did you put some sprigs in your pillow cases?

Light and Voices said...

I love the smell of lavender.
Joyce M

Linda said...

I love lavender...I have plants all over my yard...there are so many types too...I have never seen a white one...I must learn more about it...thanks for sharing...your photos were amazing!

Joani said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I planted my first lavender this spring.

cherry said...

What a beautiful place. I have tried many times to grow lavender even the ones that are suppose to do well in the southeast die on me.
One day maybe I will get to grow or visit a field full.
Happy weekend
hugs from Savannah, Cherry