Jul 23, 2011

More Garage Sales and the Ugly Truth...

I went back out garage sale-ing today...

I had one of those great garage sale moments,
but I will warn you now it ain't gonna be pretty...

(click photos to enlarge)

so first I'll share something pretty...


I picked up this pretty needlepoint pillow...

I love needlepoint!
and,  I discovered Iris is as infatuated with those little tassels as I am,
(if you haven't met Iris and Daisy they are here)
 so sadly the pillow will have to stay in the closet for a while...

alright get ready
here is the ugly part....


we have been stripping the upper kitchen cabinets,
 and here above the sink,
we removed a little cupboard...

but,
I know exactly what I want to do with this area.....


since you are already scared,
I'll show you the cabinets to the side...

each side of the sink has one of these giant open cupboards,
the ceiling in the kitchen is 10 feet,
and each shelf has a plate rail built in...
this holds a lot of dishes....
(now you know what I do with them all)

and yes, 
you do see dishes on the shelf...


I learned long ago,
when working on an old house...
the work never ends...
and sometimes you just gotta put a pretty dish on the shelf,
to know all will be pretty again... someday :-)

I'll share the lower cupboards another day,
they are going to be moved to the garden shed,
after being raised up..
the cupboard are all original to the house
and I am much taller than a women from 1902.....

the new lowers are going to be from Ikea,
and the uppers paint is made to match...


just another plate pic...

I have been collecting these creamy plates,
with the lacy gold detailed edges,
and floral centers....

I think they will be perfect for autumn....


so back to the space above the sink...

I have been looking for two things,
a petite chandelier and a pair of reclaimed corbels,
both have been hard to find...

garage sales weren't that good today,
we were doing a drive by on an unpromising sale,
when Mike said he saw a chandelier in a box,
not this one and not a good one,
but next to it was this one!!


I love the two tiered style,
it will be nice and bright for task lighting....

so now I have a painting project
and Mike gets to rewire it....

Oh... and the fun of picking crystals :-)


so while I was paying,
 I spy these under the table!!

the second part of my needs,
nice big corbels...

reclaimed is hard to find here,
it is easier to find in Seattle,
but thats an hour away,
and whether you find anything is always a gamble...

so there, my problems are solved,
for now anyway, 
all from one unpromising garage sale....


all right since you made it this far...

I'll send you a sweet whiff of lavender...


and send you on your way with a couple pretty roses...

It is 80 degrees here today with bright blue skies,
summer has finally arrived!


Don't forget to smell the roses :-)

24 comments:

laurie said...

i can't wait to see the cupboards,, those were great finds today,, and theplates are lovely,

My Little Home and Garden said...

Bella, I love seeing what you call the "ugly part". I think it allows for a better appreciation of any "after" photos. Besides, if you can take on a big job like that, I can be motivated to deal with some of my smaller projects! (Love those raindrops on roses...)
-Karen

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Wow, you had some great garage sale finds! love the chandelier!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well, I guess I shoulda wished sunshine on you a long time ago! SO glad you got it finally! At least you're spending it like you should-- out finding stuff! Love those corbels!

Susan said...

Oh Bella, you had a NICE day and good sale finds. I think the chandy is darling. I LOVE chandeliers, don't you? Susan

Susan said...

p.s. Meant to tell you I thought the pillow is exquisite. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Susan

NanaDiana said...

wow! You did GOOD, girl! Love the chandy and I suppose you will be painting it white? And, I am so glad you found the corbels-They are hard to find used OR new.

What a job to redo a kitchen in an old house. I have done a couple of them and it is never an easy task. I always had a step stool stuck somewhere for those top cabinets. I used them for Christmas dishes, etc. My dd just used Ikea cabinets in her house and she was very happy with them. Make sure you allow for the extra 1/2" each piece carries. It is not listed on the list but each one has a finished side so it adds 1/2". They were very tight on space-had measured right to the inch so they had to take a moulding off a window to make the pieces fit. And they had to pick up a finished piece for the last outside cabinet (which they didn't know going in). I will tell you that once they were done it is absolutely beautiful and she is very happy with it. They also picked up the farm sink from Ikea and love that too.

Before I forget- the needlepoint pillow is just precious~crazy dogs~ xo Diana

Mrs.Rabe said...

You scored big time!

Great finds! Can't wait to see your kitchen when it is finished.

Deanna

June said...

Bella I would have been thrilled after finding just the pillow, but the fact that you found the amazing corbels and chandy was the best luck.
I always love seeing the photos of your gorgeous garden.
sending hugs...

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Your posts always leave me smiling! :) I need to get an extra burst of energy these days to scour garage sales & thrift shops, because it always seems all of the good stuff gets picked up before I get there!!! :( I really love your wonderful finds!!! I only hope to be that lucky the next time I go antiquing! :) Oh and those blooms are just breathtaking - I can almost smell the roses!!! :) And good luck with the cabinet redo! Can't wait to see the after pics! :)

Kom Achterom said...

ooh beautiful finds!! love the pillow and i smell the roses from here so nice!!
happy week
Yolanda

Gro said...

Dear Bella

So beautiful things you got! I love it :-)
I´am absolutly mad about roses!. But in Denmark where I man living, the rain are pouring down...one day afther the other :( A littel too much for my plants a I.

Gro :-D

lambs and ivy designs said...

After more than twenty years of buying and selling old houses, I know what you mean about reminding yourself it will be pretty one day! Now, if I can only get the screw drivers,hammers and nails out of my silverware drawers I will be fine!

Rob said...

The roses look very nice and I think they will be enjoying the sunshine you talk of. I think your house will look very nice in time and I like you idea of putting the plates in place to remind you of how nice it will one day be.

Carolyn said...

Beautiful finds again! Perfect for your kitchen.

Enjoy your sunny day among the roses.

Carolyn

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

wish you could send the 80 degree weather my way.

love the pillow, just wonderful. And how lucky you got a great chandelier!

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

I look forward to seeing your kitchen when it is done. I bet it will be so pretty!!!

Once We Were Faeries ~Judy said...

I wish we had garage sales like that here! I love that pillow and your plates are gorgeous!!!
Judy

Sandie said...

Phew! I wondered what you had in store for us all for a moment!
Love the Needlepoint cushion!

Sandie xx

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Hi Bella,
What GREAT finds! I love the chandelier and the precious needlepoint pillow!
I can't wait to see how the kitchen cabinets turn out!

Trish - Sweetology101 said...

Bella..great finds that pillow and chandy, good luck on your remodel, with your taste and eye for loveliness I am sure it will be breathtaking!

Aledia said...

Hi!
What a pretty pillow, I'm sure I would have snatched it up as well! LOVE your chandy and I'm looking forward to seeing how your renovation turns out. Have a great week!
Aledia~

Rose Garden Romantic said...

The pillow is gorgeous! I know your cupboards/shelves will looks so fabulous when you are finished. What luck to find the lovely chandelier and amazing corbels at the same sale!! Those are two things I have been on the lookout for too! Not easy to find especially for a good price! Your flowers are so beautiful!!
Michelle

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

The pillow is gorgeous!!
Looking forward to seeing the finished Kitchen project as I am sure you are too!! LOL!!
A remodel is always a nightmare when it is going on but after it is finished, it is heaven!!

Hugs,
Debbie