Aug 8, 2011

Chasing the Sun....

Last week the weather was just beautiful...
I spent the whole week doing...
NOTHING!
I just tried to catch up reading my stack of magazines,
and watched the puppies play....

summer has been taking it's sweet time to arrive
and I planned to soak up all I could....

the weekend came and Mike and I were looking forward to
sharing the sunny summery days...

yep... the clouds came back early...

so,  we headed East over Chinook Pass
to Eastern Washington for a day trip....

(click photos to enlarge)

I stopped in the foothills on the way,
and checked the Blackberries vines,
they were looking for the sun too....


yes, there it is,
peeking through....


up on top it was all sun...



and waterfalls a plenty...

because up on top the snow hasn't all melted yet!
yes... snow in August!

Mount Rainer is a glacier
and there is always snow up on the top for the hikers,
but these lower banks should be gone by now...


the lakes are still frozen...


but yes,
BLUE SKIES!


a too cute chalet along the way...


with it's rows of crooked shingles..
is beyond charming!


as soon as you get across the pass,
everything changes...


the trees are gone...
so is the humidity...
and the sun almost always shines....


but the snow run off,
leaves an abundance of water...

weaving through these irrigation ditches...


sprinklers seem to run constantly,
manmade rain on the fruit crops....

apples, cherries,  peaches,  pears and apricots...


then there is my favorite diversion
 the wildflowers...




I little farm
with a mossy sign...


always has a pretty display...


we came back across in the early night...
hoping to catch the Northern Lights...
they are a rare treat here,
(we caught a peak once years ago)

and with the recent solar flares
they were a good possibility...

but, by time we had a clear view North,
we were back below the cloud cover....

Our Saturday day trip East was so fun,
Sunday we got up and did it again,
but West for a day at the beach...
I'll share those pics in a few days :-)

 I am joining...
and

Thanks for stopping by today!

19 comments:

Shirley said...

Dear Bella, A very interesting post. The mountains are so majestic. Beautiful to look at. It's amazing as we experience the hot humid temps of summer that ice can still be found somewhere. And I adore wildflowers..nature is wonderful.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I love mountain flowers and prarie flowers. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous mountain pictures!

Trish - Sweetology101 said...

very pretty pictures...sometimes doing nothing is the best something to do!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Bella!! Glad to hear you've been having a great time! That snow is amazing! Crazy! Your wildflower pictures are wonderful. Such a cute farm and chalet. Glad you're getting SUN!!

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful photos of the mountains and valleys. What a gorgeous place and such a different climate from where you live. I hope you summer returns. It seems ours has left us again as well. More cloud and showers than sunshine and heat. Have a great week. Pamela

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

What gorgeous photos of your state. :D I would love to visit Washington. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

xoxoxo,
Ricki Jill

Anne said...

I miss doing nothing!!!! Thank you for reminding me of how sweet it is to laze around a bit (and how necessary!). If you ever make it to the other side of the mountains, drop in for coffee!!

Cheers

Gayle said...

Oh such a wonderful trip, I loved the wild flowers especially. I gardened and threw my back out this weekend. I went to the chiropractor today and he looked on my file and said I have a history of doing this in August! LOL! So your weekend was much better than mine.

Olga said...

Beautiful and interesting post. The nature landscapes look so peaceful, and I love the photos of the wild flowers.

Mrs.Rabe said...

What a beautiful place to live!

So nice to get away....

Deanna

Joy said...

Neautiful photos, have a great week and Happy Blue Monday

Sheila said...

A few weeks ago I couldn't take our so-called "summer" anymore so I took my kids to Wenatchee for some real sun and heat. :) I'm glad you had a taste of sunshine, too.

The Tablescaper said...

Such gorgeous scenery. Love that chalet! Great to have your post being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

jeanetteann said...

what lovely pics Bella,I loved it all especially the wild flowers. What a lovely way to spend the weekend xx

Kathy said...

Amazing scenery Bella,
Our country is so fantastic to have such diverse landscapes. Here, it has been very hot, humid and dry - I look for the clouds! We were traveling home a couple of weeks back - the sky was so active - thunderstorms in the distance here and there! Then a beautiful thing! I saw pink rain! You know when you can see in the distance rain coming down from a cloud - the sun was setting - causing everything to look pink! I would have chased that, but we were nearing home and quite tired!
Hope you have a great day,
Kathy

Sherry said...

Hi Bella,
What a nice trip to the mountains. My aunt lives in MT. We went there once and it snowed in the mountains on 4th of July. The waterfalls are beautiful.
Sherry

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness, what a whole different feel there is where you live. The wildflowers are divine, and the shutters on that house look like something out of a fairytale. I love the mossy sign too..., thanks for the wonderful little journey.

Cindy

Light and Voices said...

I am always amazed to discover snow on the mountains even when it is this time of year. Wildflowers are a special treat to see on the trip. Lucky you!
Joyce M

Queenie said...

The area you live in is gorgeous...thank you for sharing pictures of your trip...they were such a treat :)
Big hugs,
Queenie