Aug 13, 2011

Collecting Sea Cookies?


(click photos to enlarge)

Last weekend I shared my trip across

We also took a day trip to the beach...


Westport, WA....

I'll share a little of the trip to the beach too...


we pass through the town of Aberdeen...

it's claim to fame,
Kurt Cobain's hometown...


then about twenty minutes before the beach,
it this house!
sitting high on the rolling hills...


this is my War of The Roses House...
(though it always reminds me of the Practical Magic House)

Do you remember Barbara Rose
leaving a note on the door of a house
she couldn't afford...
and then lucking out and getting it?

well, if I ever come into a tidy chunk of change
this is the door I will be knocking on :-)


this is the Westport lighthouse,
built in 1893 and standing over 100 feet tall,
it is Washington tallest lighthouse...


and since this seems to have turned into a house post....

that is no plastic deer on the porch,
he is real....
they are just really friendly here,
the salt air must keep them mellow :-)


back to the the surf...

little in life makes me happier than a pounding surf...
and the smell of salt water...



I don't know the rhyme or reason of it,
but sometimes the beach is covered in Sand dollars...


I gather the white ones that are empty inside,
 but, the grey ones still have someone home inside
and I always throw them back in the water...

this morning Mike and I were debating
whether they are still alive or just still there...

and when Googling around
I learned in New Zealand
Sand Dollars are called
Sea Cookies or Snapper Biscuits :-)

I never found the answer to my original question...
but that is the joy of Googling
you always learn the unexpected :-)


this was the girls first trip to the beach...
they thought the warm sand was nice...


but the water,  wasn't a hit...

Italian Greyhounds are rarely fans of the water....


of course there must be a Mermaid :-)


But more wonderful than the lore of old men
 and the lore of books
 is the secret lore of ocean.
H. P. Lovecraft

Today I am sharing at
and
A Brand New Party at
Beyond the Garden Gate!

Thanks for stopping by....

18 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Beautiful! We used to get to the coast at least once a year until the last few. We're due. That house!!!!! My, my. It's hard not to imagine yourself looking out of those windows. It's funny to think the girls don't like the water. We couldn't keep our Lab OUT of the water. Fun post!!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Wonderful post! I brought back memories of collecting sea cookies! LOVE how you call them that! Continue to enjoy your summer!

Cat & Cricket said...

My Goodness! I want that mermaid sign!
Love it!
Smiles~
Cricket... join in on sand and sea sundays....
Smiles~

Kom Achterom said...

ooh what a dreamhouse. When i could i shosen the lighthouse so beautiful!!
Love the sea!!
happy week
Yolanda

jeanetteann said...

i like the shells,they are so unusual.. the house wow that is lovely. xx

The Rosegarden in Malevik said...

Hi Bella
What a Dreamhouse......
and a nice place to be in....
and do not miss

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

WELCOME :)
Håkan ( The Roseman)

Ansa said...

...how lovely dogs... and beautiful beach..and house..like a dream...

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Bella
That house would be nice to have or at least visit to see the inside.
I've never heard of those names for sand dollars before, we look for them in Florida but it's rare to find a whole one.
The girls are sweet with their pink harnesses on and matching leashes. Topaz wears a purple collar with matching leash and we even have a purple baggy carrier attached to the leash. I know, it's mean to dress a boy like that. LOL
Hugs,
Judith

Snap said...

Bella,

Delightful post, filled with wonderful things ... sand, beach, water, sand dollars, the girls (beautiful), mermaids and a magical house! Looks like you had a great time.

Ozma of Odds said...

...what a magical trip to the sea! full of mystery and wonder. thank you for taking us along, i never tire of the beautiful sea and all the treasures she brings forth ~ sea cookies, mermaids, glorious beach houses, sand, waves...etc, etc:)

xo, Rosemary

Lydia said...

Thank you for reminding me of a favorite childhood memory. Collecting sand dollars. Love the name sea cookies. BEST thing I learned all week.

Blondie's Journal said...

Wow...beautiful pictures. I love the rocky shores of the Pacific Northwest. What an adventure this must have been. The girls look darling...are those life jackets?

XO,
Jane

lambs and ivy designs said...

What a beautiful and interesting post.
Sea biscuits! I love that name.

The poor little doggies, I can just see them with their tails between their legs trying to avoid the water. Cute!

Beth said...

Hi Bella, I enjoyed your post and am so glad that you throw back the living sand dollars. It's the compassionate thing to do. I invite you to share this post at my travel meme, Travels Near And Far. It's my first travel party and it'll "meet" on the 15th of each month. It's at http://beyondthegardengate(DOT)blogspot(DOT)com.
Blessings, Beth

Beth said...

Whoops - my website address is:
http://beyondthegardengate-beth(DOT)blogspot(DOT)com.
Silly me!
Blessings, Beth

Diane said...

Interesting place! I'd love to visit.

The Tablescaper said...

Thanks for briging your travels to Seasonal Sundays.That seaside home looks amazing.

- The Tablescaper

Jessa Irene said...

Visiting from Beth's blog today. Wonderful post and not so far from me, I was in Mt. Rainier not long ago myself, too funny if we were there at the same time. The dogs are so adorable!! Love that lighthouse.