Aug 10, 2011

Summer Flowers...

Can you believe how the year is flying by...
it's almost mid August already!

The garden is pulling out the heavy hitters now...
the big bold flowers of summer...

winding up for the final curtain call...

that's not to say our weather is anything like summer,
we have still had only two days
climb the thermometer into the eighties....

today,  like almost everyday this summer is in the mid sixties...
so grab a sweater,
or just enjoy the cool day...
let's stroll...

(click photos to enlarge)

the Japanese Anemones are in full bloom...


I have two varieties..
these with their bright  pink daisy like petals...


and these,
almost white,  with just five round petals...

when I bought my first pots of Anemones,
I thought they must be rare because their price was so high...
but,  they are so easy to grow
and aggressive reproducers....


the white Hollyhocks popped open,
though not towering by any means,
unless you are a garden rabbit :-)

they only reached a few feet tall this year...


Mallow...



the lavender Poppies,
preparing for next year....


the garden angels are now nearly hidden,
behind the overgrown tangle of the summer garden....


I hear their hushed whispers...

they talk about flying away
to enjoy a few days in the sun....

maybe they will take me along?


the Pee-Gee Hydrangea's
lacy flowers...

frilly cones of delight....



the real show stoppers...

the Hydrangea!


pinks...


and layers of pink....


the tall Garden Phlox...
it's spikes capped in snow white flowers...


Today I am joining....
and

Thanks for strolling with me today,
I enjoyed your company so :-)

27 comments:

Tete said...

I loved my stroll with you today. So many pretty faces in your garden.
Hugs- Tete

Jane Gray said...

Hi Bella... we are having a similar summer across the pond! This was a lovely, peaceful stroll around your beautiful garden, and a respite from the horrible scenes on the news that have made us all so sad here. Thank you for sharing :-)
The Time Sculptor

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful, Bella... the hydrangeas in pink and blue remind me of babies rooms! You must have wonderful vases of flowers throughout your home!! Everything is so pretty, love your sweet angels!

XO,
Jane

Jo said...

Enjoyed the stroll!..beautiful photo's.
~Jo

raggygirlvintage said...

So pretty Bella, thanks for the stroll. Sweater weather for sure but at least it's not raining!
Tracey

Flea Market Lynn said...

What I wouldn't give for a day with a 60 degree temperature! We are frying here in Atlanta.....and our gardens are too. So love your garden photos.....really enjoy them.....they are a breath of fresh air! Keep them coming! Lynn

Charlene said...

Bella you are such a tease! I should send you a photos of my BURNED hydreangea! But, thank you for reminding me what they SHOULD look like! HUGS!
Charlene

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Bella! The garden angels look like they could actually be saying that! Everything is beautiful of course. The hydrangeas are amazing! I saw some at the nursery, but I've never seen a soul grow them here. I never get over the variety you have in your garden! xx

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Bella
Your garden is looking quite nice, despite your cool weather. We went from the 90s down to low 70s, enough to make a gal feel like she's freezing. :-)
You have a nice group of colourful hydrangeas, they really are a spectacular shrub to grow.
Hugs,
Judith

Lydia said...

I'm enjoying the unusually cool summer- feel guilty I can't take 5 degrees from Texas.

Larry said...

True to form, your post is beautiful! L

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a beautiful garden and what gorgoeus blooms!!


Hugs,
Debbie

Bunny Jean said...

Your Hydrangeas are lovely. I really miss growing those. Some of my blooms were as big as small dinner plates.

Hydrandeas in the Summer and Rhodies in the Spring...

I enjoyed my visit today.

xoxo Bunny Jean @Bunny Jeans Decor and More!

It's me said...

Beautiful flowers...just what i need.....love from me...xxx...

Fishtail Cottage said...

Thanks for sharing over at Cottage Flora Thursday's today! Your photo's are so very prety! Have you found those Japanese Anenome's a bit invasive? I planted some a few years ago & they seem to come up everywhere...uggh, i can't get rid of them! xoxo, tracie

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

I so enjoyed looking at your beautiful flowers, as everything here in Texas is just burning up. We have had temp's over a 100 for weeks now, 110 recently, and no rain! Our tree's look like they have been on fire! Oh how I long for cooler weather & rain! Thanks for the beautiful stroll.
hugs~~~ Daphne

Heather said...

Hello Bella - your anemones are so sweet and the hydrangeas are beautiful! You always give the nicest tours around the garden too, take care and hugs!

Becca's Dirt said...

Absolutely gorgeous flowers. You captured everything so beautifully. So much eye candy.

Sheila said...

Wow! Your hydrangeas are gorgeous! unfortunately, 2 of my 4 bushes aren't blooming and probably won't this year. That bad winter, I think, or maybe I overpruned. Not sure.

Landbohaven said...

Hvor har du mange smukke blomster.

Madelief said...

Dear Bella,

It's a joy to scroll through your garden photo's. It all looks so pretty and colourful! Sorry to hear the weather is still cold. It's not much better in Holland. It feels like fall here. Hope we will get some sun next week. I will keep my fingers crossed :-)!

Happy weekend,

Madelief x

June said...

Gorgeous pictures from your beautiful garden Bella. I LOVE coming by and taking it all in!
sending hugs from Idaho...

Bernideen said...

Your garden is a paradise! Each photo an escape...

Marilyn said...

Exquisite photos! For those of us experiencing 100+ temperatures and severe drought, your pictures are such a welcome treat.

Those hydrangeas are beyond stunning!!

Marilyn (in Dallas)

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Beautiful flowers!

Your hydrangeas are simply amazing!! One day mine will be like that..fingers crossed ;)
*hugs*deb

Hartwood Roses said...

Japanese anemones are some of my VERY favorite flowers ... I don't have any, though. I really HAVE to do something about that.

Your flowers are beautiful!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Beautiful photos of your garden, Bella! Thank you for sharing at the Open House party.
xo,
Sherry