Sep 30, 2011

Farewell to September...

Where did September go?

I thought I would take you on a  mini garden stroll today,
a farewell to September...

Please forgive the flowers their bumps and bruises,
we have had a stormy week...

(click photos to enlarge)



 I planted a Dahlia years ago,
it was so aggressive,
it was huge and knocked over everything in it's path,
I pulled it last year....

but I see she has been the winner...
a pair of cheery blooms :-)


almost irresistible :-)


the last of the Coneflowers,
the goldfinch are excited to see them going to seed...


the Sweetness Rose is loading up for her
final flush of blooms....



the heart of sweetness...


this Therese Bugnet Rose
is new this year,
the blooms have been few,
but she has grown like a weed!

I can't wait to see what next year brings...

I think this is the most common phrase
 spoken by every gardener I know....

No matter if it is a good year or bad,
the expectation of next years show,
is always mightier in the mind....


Ballerina Roses...

even on this gloomy day,
with thunder rolling in the sky,
she looks like the picture of spring!



my High Hopes Rose,
had a hard time in the record cold of last winter.

I have hesitated to cut her to the ground,
hoping to avoid it...

She is resilient,
new canes have been shooting up from the ground,
but the arching canes over the top of the arbor,
just couldn't be saved...


the few blooms that there were,
I snipped for bouquets...

there is always good to be found :-)


a Welcome to October...

 "Listen!  the wind is rising,
     and the air is wild with leaves,
   We have had our summer evenings,

        now for October eves!"        
                                                                                               Humbert Wolfe

 Today I am joining,

Thanks for strolling with me today....


24 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm sitting here imagining what it must be like to have such a lush garden. I'm new to my home and the previous owners were NOT gardeners. I have to start from scratch. You've inspired me. Thanks for sharing your end of summer garden.
~Lynn
www.cottageandcreek.com

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Very Pretty! That Dahlia is amazing! Those last shots of the roses in the bucket are just yummy luscious! So beautiful and authentic and so cottage.

Annette said...

Your flowers are beautiful! Can't even pick out a favorite - they are all gorgeous! Not many flowers left in my garden now. I let may granddaughter pick the last of then the other day. The Fall colors are getting prettier everyday though!
Hugs to you,
Annette

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Gorgeous photos and your flowers are just beautiful!!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Beautiful post--

The Rosegarden in Malevik said...

Hi Bella
Just Lovely photos......yes,,,soon it will be autumn,,,,,but here it´s summer yet :)
and do not miss.......

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

WELCOME :)
Håkan ( The Roseman)

Gail said...

Each flower is a beauty.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Everything looks beautiful! Yes, you are right, gardners always look toward the future...but it looks as if your garden was wonderful this year too.(-:

Carolyn said...

Hi Bella,
I love the delicate beauty of your September blooms!
We had a very warm dry September but today we are getting a downpour and the garden says thank you!

Take care,
Carolyn

Debbie said...

I love the roses on the porch in the bucket, great picture, beautiful roses.
Debbie
P.S.
keep summer in your heart

Mrs.Rabe said...

Beautiful as always, Bella!

Do you have a list of the roses in your garden anywhere on your blog?

Deanna

chubskulit said...

I love Saturdays, lots of Pinktastic stuff to see. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pink!

My Pink is here, hope you can come by and see. Have a great week weekend!

LV said...

I can see no flaws in this beautiful flower presentation.

Sizzle and Zoom said...

What a wonderful send off to summer. I enjoyed these photos.

Heaven's Walk said...

Almost brings tears to my eyes to see such beauty bullied out of the garden by the cold weather and falling leaves, Bella. :) I guess we'll just start counting the days til we can get back out in the warm sunshine and dig our hands in the sweet earth....

xoxo laurie

Anki said...

You have very beautiful photos here.

My Little Home and Garden said...

The soft colours are so gentle. Beautiful, Bella.
-Karen

Snap said...

Beautiful blooms as the seasons change. Gorgeous roses.

Shabbily By The Sea said...

Such beautiful pictures,i will miss the roses so much although i have dried a few bunches of the ballerina rose in bud to enjoy through the winter,
Enjoy your last blooms x

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Hello lovely lady! Your garden tour is beautiful! I love the lavender rose! So pretty! And I'm one of your new friends!!

Shirley said...

What a beautiful Dahlia..the color is so beautiful. And the roses..you are the Queen of roses for sure..a good green thumb..

GRØNN FRYD HOS MONIQUE - said...

Lots of nice looking roses you have here!
And yes, where did September go?

The Tablescaper said...

What an amazing Dahlia. It looks dyed. Hard to believe it grew from the earth that way. My grandmother used to plant Dahlias, but none like that.
Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

chateau de fleurs said...

Hi Bella, what pretty colors of flowers you have in your garden! I especially like the little bunch of Ballerina roses, OX Christie