Oct 5, 2011

A Trip to the Pumpkin Farm...

Back in the cold wet spring
I shared with you a trip to the local Daffodil farm...
(If you missed it click here)

(click photos to enlarge)

the other main crops that grow in the valley where I live
are Rhubarb and Pumpkin...

Pumpkins are big business
with several local farms,
each with attractions and family fun...



I usually grow my own Pumpkins,
but this year,
with the cold summer,
my little patch is seriously sad looking...


so I went to a local farm
to buy a few...

It's fun to see the varieties
and harvest some seeds for my own patch next year....



these Heirloom French Squash
with all their warts were my favorite...

I can't wait to grow a huge patch!



Speckled Hounds...


Pink Banana....

I have heard these are good for eating...


and Sweet Dumplings....


the variety was endless...
but, the usual baby white pumpkins
 were no where to be found...


but they did have some nice big ones...






Corn Mazes are also big here...

one farm features the haunted woods each year...
with special effects and a long, muddy, scary, night time "stroll"
through the corn fields and woods...

a good scare is always fun,
maybe this is the year I'll go...



Today I am joining...
and

Thanks for joining me today...

17 comments:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Wow so many pumpkins! I've never seen the heirloom French! Very unusual!! Thanks for sharing!

Sheila said...

Fun to see some different pumpkin farms. :) I know almost all the ones "up north" of Seattle. I like those big spiders.

Gayle said...

I loved seeing the different pumpkins, I am going to have to make a trip there.

AshTreeCottage said...

What a wonderful spot. Thank you for the tour!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

NanaDiana said...

We are on the road in the UP and having fun seeing all the different types of farm stands that sell pumpkins, gourds, etc. You are spoiled in your climate with all your options. Ours are not so great this year..and I haven't seen ANY Boo pumpkins this year either- xo Diana

Sizzle and Zoom said...

Fun, interesting post. Some pumpkins were new to me.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

My goodness this is so festive! First class. Blue ribbon. They do it up nice, no? Your shots are wonderful! Those warty pumpkins sure get into the spirit of things! I love the photo of the wagon loaded with pumpkins! xx

Μαζί... KaPa said...

oh! I wish I could be there too!!!

Fishtail Cottage said...

Looks like a great place to visit! Last year i purchased some of those 'pumpkins' with all the character & on the night we began to carve our pumpkins as a family - the kids were in tears because we couldn't cut through some of them....ha (learned that they are not really pumpkins)! So we hit Safeway to save the day! xoxo, tracie

Fishtail Cottage said...

ps - started a new linky party & would love to have you share your post! xoox

Madelief said...

Hi Bella,

I haven't seen a place like this before. They have so much pumpkins and squash on offer. I would have found it difficult to decide which one to take home with me!

Lieve groet,

Madelief x

Cottage and Broome said...

Love the pumpkin house and those nubby pumpkins so unusually. Laura Cottage and Broome

Olga said...

Looks like a wonderful place. I didn't know there are so many different varieties of pumpkin. Nice pictures, the pumpkin house is so cute.
Perhaps this weekend, my family and I will take a trip to a local pumpkin patch too.

Karen said...

I haven't visited a pumpkin patch since my youngest was a wee one. It was great to share this trip with you. I love the many pumpkin variety's. I once grew pumpkins by accident, I composted my leftover pumpkins in my vegetable garden. Who knew the seeds would germinate lol, it was a pleasant surprise.

The Tablescaper said...

I've never seen so many interesting pumpkins. Glad that you became a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Bonnie said...

What a place! Wish it was near me! Bet the big pumpkin weighs 95 pounds!

Thanks for sharing.

CALABELLA CALABELLA said...

Hola, gracias por este post. Me parece maravilloso tu blog. Me encantan las calabazas.