Dec 12, 2011

A Day Trip to Port Gamble...

I celebrated my 47th birthday
over the weekend...

Birthdays in December are always kind of meshed
with Christmas festivities,
so I usually like to get away for a quiet day trip...


we headed Northwest
to the usually sleepy town
of Port Gamble,  WA...

population 916...


the town dates back to the mid 1850's
and is like stepping into Old New England...

Charming with a capital C...


this grand Victorian building
is the center of town...




it was a cold and stormy day,
the waters of the Puget Sound
rough and choppy...


the sky so moody,

looking back at my pictures
 it looks like they were all taken over several different days,
a blue sky here a black sky there...


in the beginning,
 I said a usually sleepy town,
because we were surprised to see how much
 the town had changed since our last visit,
 ten or so years ago...

main street was dappled in a hand full of cute little shops...


and they were hosting a Christmas celebration...


I did a little window shopping...


and caught a glimpse of the "Big Guy" himself...




the quaint cemetery on the hill,
is the most peaceful I have ever visited...


Gustave Englebrecht was buried here,
 the first U.S. Navy Sailor to die in the Pacific,
he died on the city's shores
 in the Indian War of 1855-56...


see
 a blue sky!

I am joining...

Thanks for joining me today...

13 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

The Pacific Northwest is so full of drama which you captured very nicely. What wonderful lettering on that water tank. I'm crazy for those gorgeous cottages and mansions. And such darling shops! The white tree in that lacy window is enchanting! I hope your birthday was wonderful! Happy Birthday again!

Tracey@Breathing English Air said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you. What a wonderful place, with such beautiful buildings. I love peeking in through windows and catching a fragment of someone's life as I pass by, so your pictures taken through the windows really appeal.

Shirley said...

Happy Birthday Bella,
I so enjoyed your photo's of the homes these lucky folks live in. I would love to live in any one of them. One closer to the cemetery please!
Enjoy the time...

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Happy Birthday Bella. Love photos of the little picturesque town. V

Pamela Gordon said...

What a quaint little town. I love the old homes and I bet those shops were lovely. Happy Birthday a bit late! Blessings!

stefanie said...

oh, I love old towns!!! this one is beautiful!

D said...

What a beautiful town. Thanks for the tour.
I always enjoy town tours.

Blondie's Journal said...

Happy Birthday, Bella! it looks like you celebrated in the best way! I love sleepy little towns and these homes are just gorgeous! I'm happy you had a great day!

XO,
Jane

Debbie said...

What a great way to celebrate your birthday!! All the shots are so beautiful, I love the moody great NW.

Debbie
x0x0x

Loribeth said...

Happy birthday!!! I think that's a lovely way to spend your birthday, and what a wonderful little town! Love the pictures!!! They make me want to go to WA!

Teresa~ Gardening with Soule said...

Looks like a wonderfu place to visit! Happy birthday!!

Light and Voices said...

Happy birthday...cha,cha,cha. Looks like you had a nice time visiting this wonderful place.
Joyce M

KB said...

Happy Birthday. My OW is up too.