Oct 2, 2012

How About a Stroll, in the Veggie Garden?

 Hi Everyone!
 
We have been strolling my garden
all spring and summer together...
 
I thought today you may like to putter around the working side of the garden?
 
My little veggie garden...
 
don't worry the roses are alive and well
and I am sure I'll be sharing them with you again soon...
:-)
 
 
a big bright
 Sunflower welcome to fall...



the delicious fruits of labor...
 
this year I decide to use open pollination,  no gmo,
heirloom veggies...
 
and found a wonderful local company
 
these cherry tomatoes are from their sampler...
the fat yellows may be the sweetest
 I have ever tasted....
 
it is also nice,
since here in the Northwest are growing season isn't as hot or long,
and tomatoes and pepper are sometimes a challenge...
 
they have varieties
that grow here beautifully...
 

 
my veggie garden
 is where I embrace my rustic junker side...
 
like the galvanized colander from the free bin above.,,
 

 
a simple old porch rail,
is turned on end...
 
and salvaged as a trellis
for the green beans...

 



the herbs are homed in
rusted through enamelware canning pots....
 
easy drainage :-)
 

I call the pan above
a nut roasting pan,
because it looks like the one I use at Christmas for Chestnuts....
 
but maybe it has another truer purpose?
 
either way it makes a pretty backdrop...



an old camp coffee pot
is happy brewing up some Lavender...
 
 
I have nine raised beds,
and a pumpkin patch...
 
do you remember the frog population explosion
I was telling you about?
(here if you missed it)
 
there are dozens of tiny baby frogs
who have taken refugee in the grass...
 
so we haven't had the heart to mow...
 
so this year we are sporting our lawn
Au Naturel...
 




 
I also love growing pumpkins...

 
If you have the chips,
I have the salsa...
 
Happy harvest season!
and
 
Thanks for stopping by today!



20 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Wow! It's nice to see this side of your garden. I love all the country touches. Very charming! My mouth started to water when I saw your tomatoes. And your pumpkin is a beauty. Is that sunflower as enormous as it looks? It's all still happening for you! Wonderful!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I think your garden looks great. I love the pear tomatoes--those are my favorite as they do not have as much acid as red tomatoes. Also love your white pumpkin--I couldn't find seeds for white pumpkins. I wish I would have planted some!

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Your vegetables look amazing and I loved all the rusting pots that you repurpossed. Beautiful. Valerie

Becky Elmuccio said...

Such beautiful photos and I love the way you are repurposing found items in your garden. Those colors on your tomatoes are divine! Please feel free to swing by and link up a post on my Tuesday Greens linky. www.craftygardenmama.com Have a great week!

Susan said...

Ooooo Bella. Loved seeing your veggie garden. Great job. Mmmmm. I LOVE salsa. Susan

The French Hutch said...

Your gardens and flowers are so beautiful! I had to go back and look at the flogs. I wouldn't have the heart to cut either. Lovely photos to enjoy. Wish my gardens looked like this............

~Emily
The French Hutch

Lavender Cottage said...

Hello Bella
You have repurposed many interesting rustic pieces and your veggie garden looks delicious.
I've been buying heirloom cherry tomatoes of all colours at the farmers' market and they are good.
We had so many green frog tadpoles develop this summer but it looks like a few might still overwinter in this state.
Judith

Light and Voices said...

Yum. Yum. Your garden looks like everything is so delicious.
Joyce M

Karen said...

Your vegetable garden is as sweet as can be with it's repurposed pots, pans and trellis. So nice of you to keep your grass long for the little frogs <3 Thank you for the seed company link, your tomatoes look so delicious! Hope your week is lovely. xx

Haworth said...

What a wonderful vegetable plot, Bella! And I love your use of cast-off items. It adds so much personality and charm. Does your lavender winter over well in the coffee pot? This has been such a good year for lavender here in New England. (Oh, and I *love* those pear-shaped tomatoes.... my neighbor has them and shares them with me. They're like candy!) Take care and enjoy the rest of your week.

Beth said...

Hi Bella, Even your vegetable garden is stylistically beautiful! I enjoyed seeing it, almost as much as you enjoy eating the goodies from it!

Janneke said...

Lovely photos of the old rusty pots and pans in your vegetable plot. Your tomatoes look delicious and are very colourful.

Rose L said...

You can make a colorful salsa with those tomatoes! Just do not forget the cilantro! And a bit of diced green chilies. Yummy!

GardenGirl said...

hello friend! beautiful...how i love uprising seeds!

Olga said...

Bella, your veggie garden is awesome. I loved seeing it. Even your vegetables look so romantic.

camilla said...

Lovely pictures Bella!!
Wish i had a garden like that:)
Have a really nice day:)
Hugs from Camilla:)

The Spanish Dahlia said...

Hi Bella~
The garden is absolutely beautiful, lush, and lloks oh so delish!!!! Wow, you are one busy girl tending to your garden sheep, LOL!!! How wonderful for you and your family to enjoy all your hard work. This early spring I noticed that my tomatoes from last season reseeded themselves, and I even thinned them, gave some away to friends, and I still had way too many plants!!! Although I have plenty, I'm not to crazy about the taste of these toms... But, we'll take them anyway. I freeze mine over the winter and never have any leftover come spring. If you have any great tomatoe recipes, I'd LOVe to share!
Happy Fall sweetie~

her billowing heart said...

oh i would love to have a garden like that!!!
so much loveliness

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Your garden is beautiful! We skipped putting in a fall garden this year because the hubby usually does the veggie growing and his work schedule is crazy. But, we will be putting one in come Spring. Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Bluebell Woods said...

I love seeing all your beautiful veggies. I also love all the things you use for containers. I like to do that too. Do you find the chives do well in a container? I have them in my flower beds but would love to do that (contain them). I was also happy to see the nut roasting pan..........so that's what it is? I have one and had no clue,
Janice