May 23, 2013

Mushroom Hunting...

It is inevitable
that sometime during the long wet winters
in Washington,
a case of cabin fever typically sets in...
 
in this time a "bucket list"
of things "I want to do this summer"  is usually made...
 
 
this years list
took me to the higher elevations of Central Washington
last weekend...
 
 
hunting for Morel Mushrooms...
 

it's like an Easter Egg Hunt for adults :-)
 


on the first day we picked twenty eight...
 
as newbies,
this was enough to excite us,
and make us want to go back for more...
 
 
 
and really,
mushrooms or not,
the forest is always a good place to spend a day...



these pretty purple flowers
dotted the forest floor...
 

I have learned these flowers are actually Wild Orchids...
Fairy Slippers...
 
Thanks for the info
Helene!
Helene Glehen's lovely blog is here...

 

 
on a sweeter note,
my nosegay of Wild Violets and Sweet Peas...



 
What is on your summers "Bucket List"?
 
Happy Trails to You....

10 comments:

iris said...

hello
un vrai bonheur votre campagne
des morilles
des orchidées sauvages (sabot de vénus )
et une biche
en Normandie ( FRANCE )il fait encore
très frais , le soleil nous manque
bonne journée
tendresse
edith (iris)

Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

My Dad used to take us morel hunting as children. Thanks for the memory.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

So interesting, Bella! I've never seen those mushrooms before. The woods and mountains your way are just gorgeous! We have nothing like it close by. Makes me want to go kicking around somewhere.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Bella,what beautiful pictures. What a wonderful way to spend the weekend - so many beautiful things to see. Glad you found your mushrooms, how were they?
Have a great Memorial Weekend.
Mary

Olga said...

Oh, I know, I know the thrill of mushroom hunting! It's so much fun! And you're right, it's so always so nice and relaxing to spend some time in the forest. Love all the pictures you took!

Hugs,
Olga

Hélène Glehen said...

The pretty purple flowers are the family of orchis.
I am a mushrooms hunter but I never find morels. These mushrooms are delicious cooked with cream.
I used to visit your blog in the past. It is still enchanting.

Have a nice weekend
Hélène

Merlesworld said...

These mushrooms are different, I never seen them before are they good.
Merle........

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Bella
This brought back pleasant memories for me. I used to go with my Dad each spring to pick morales and puff balls in a wooded area that not too many people knew about. What a treat to come home and fry them up!
Hugs,
Judith

Rose L said...

I have friends here in Oregon who hunt for Morels and Chanterelles (spelling?) and were quite successful!

Haworth said...

What fun you must have had, Bella, collecting your mushrooms. And what lovely pictures from your time in the woods. My summer list generally includes lots of little projects in the cottage or garden, or walks to the local greenhouse or cemetery, and drives to the ocean. Wishing you success as you enjoy your list this summer!