Sep 10, 2013

Fall Mushroom Hunting...

One of my summer goals
was to learn the ropes of mushroom hunting...
 
we decided to focus on two varieties
to start with...
 
Morels in the spring
and Chanterelles in the fall..
 

 
here Chanterelle season really gets going
 after a good rain...
 
so the time was right...
 


simple tools,
for me...
 
a basket, a whistle, a knife
and a walking stick to swat spider webs...
 
my Mr. is much more prepared,
with a GPS...
 
we have carefully studied
what to look for...
 
the right habitat,
and right characteristics,
with mushrooms it better safe than sorry...
 

 
we find dozens of different kinds...
 
 
each amazing...
 


and unique...
 


a fairy world...




 
 
this one I almost picked,
but being a newbie played it safe...
 
only to regret it later,
it was a Lobster Mushroom...
 
 
at the end of the day,
empty baskets...
 
but happy,
a day hiking in the woods
 is never a bad day...
 
 
now obsessed,
we had to try again...
 
we try different woods...
 

and success,
Chanterelles...
 
 a picture blurry from excitement...
 
in the end we found one pound of Chanterelles,
and one more Lobster Mushroom
that I brought home that time...
 

 
My hunting partner,
and sweetheart of twenty one years...
 
Thanks for joining me today...

16 comments:

Hjem & Glede said...

Hi Bella❤
So beautiful photos......
Thank You!

Have a lovely day!

Smile ond hug from Norway❤

Shabby chic Sandy said...

My husband was just talking about hunting for chantrelles today--he thinks another week or two. Beautiful photos!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Beautiful photos. Never really thought about mushrooms only buying them at the store. How beautiful they are. Glad you had a good time.
Mary

Karen Frost said...

What lovely photos - like a fairy tale, Bella. Congratulations on 21 years with your sweetheart. <3 xo

Pamela Gordon said...

Bella, these woodland pictures are so pretty. I love walking in the woods (on a trail) and seeing the beauty there. I'd never seen a lobster mushroom before. I'm glad your second trip was successful. Have a great day! Pam

AshTreeCottage said...

Those mushrooms do look like they are from a fairy land. What beautiful woods! Congrats on your score and be sure to bring us along on future hunts.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentle

Deborah said...

That's awesome! Must have been an amazing day!
What a sweet partner to pick mushrooms with!
Happy day Bella!

All my heart,
Deborah xo

NanaDiana said...

What a gorgeous day you spent and I am glad you finally found what you were looking for. That lobster mushroom is really something. Never saw anything like that here. Our woods in this area are much drier and you don't find mushrooms...just a few in our yard once in a while after a lot of summer rain.

Your "partner" is adorable. xo Diana

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

That looks like one happy man! Your hunting expedition seems so exotic! You got some wonderful photos. I love being in the woods in fall. We are getting record rainfall this week. I'm sure there will be some mushrooms in our woods. Amazing how many varieties you found. Happy for your success, dearie! xx

Bernideen said...

What a fu posting of this adventure and something I have never done. I know they do this in Missouri where we will be retiring in the future and I am looking forward to "learning from others"

La Vie Quotidienne said...

A lovely post in such a glorious wood. You are far braver than I am to eat wild mushrooms...I would worry that I made a mistake!

Lavender Cottage said...

My father and I used to hunt for morels and puffballs in the spring as he knew a forest where they were plentiful. It is fun to hunt and gather, then bring back the bounty and fry it up.
Your helper looks happy to be in the woods with you.
Judith

Haworth said...

What a beautiful walk, Bella, with such lovely specimens! Some exotic, some so whimsical. It is like a faery land!

Rose L said...

I would not know what ones were edible and what would poison me! I have seen many types though when on walks around Oregon.

Encre et Couleurs said...

To have a stroll in the forest to pick mushrooms and smell the wet soil is a delight.
Each autumn my husband and I are doing this. We hunt boletus. We do not have chanterelles.
Unfortunately, due to a very dry weather since beginning of July, I am afraid the harvest of mushrooms will be very compromised. Must wait for a few rainy days before hunting.
Pretty photos of forest and mushrooms.

Hélène

Sandy Kessler said...

mushrooms the super food