Oct 3, 2013

Franklin, WA....

Several weeks ago,
My Mr. and I went for a day hike
to the town of Franklin, WA...
 
I have waited to share
the pictures I took,
because Franklin is a Ghost Town...
 
I saved it for October,
the spookiest month of the year...
 
Franklin really wasn't that spooky,
but it's only the beginning of October...
 



 
Franklin was a coal mining town,
and as a lot of coal mining towns did,
it had a lot of tragedy...
 
 if your interested in the towns history...
 

 
bits of coal still litter the ground...

 
 
when I think of Ghost Towns...
 
I think of the old west...
 
 I imagine
weathered buildings,
where the wood has turned grey....
 


 
but here,
ghost towns are void of wood,
only moss covered foundations remain...
 
leaving your imagination to fill in
what it was all like,
back in the day...
 



 
it is a beautiful hike...
 
through the deciduous forest,
here where conifers are too common,
it's a nice change...
 



teasel weed...
 

 
and it's wicked leaves...
 

 
 
meadow flowers,
gone to seed,
in the late summer...
 


when you reach the hilltop,
you find them...
 


overgrown graves...
 
I noticed all the English Ivy,
through out the town...
 
it's not a native plant...
 
I imagine a young bride
traveling far from home...
 
bringing along a snip,
of ivy,
something from home...
 
now, it has gone wild,
consuming the town...
 


 
the forgotten...


or maybe
not forgotten?
 


 
this is what made my heart beat
 a little faster...
 
the grate covers the main mine shaft.
it's 1300 feet down,
and when you drop a pebble through the grate
it takes a long time to hit bottom...
 



 
I'll be linking up to...
 
Thank you for coming along...

11 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

What a sad beauty in that ghost town. It must give you an eerie feeling to walk around there and then to see the gravestones all overgrown. I'm surprised the mine shaft isn't better covered. Thank you for sharing your photos of this very quiet town. Enjoy your day.

Gayle said...

Lovely photography Bella. I have never heard of this town!

Karen Frost said...

Wonderful day trip, Bella - those old graves are so interesting to see and to imagine the lives.... It's so nice that the scouts reclaimed this special place. xo

Victorian1885 said...

Wonderful photos Bella. Thank you for sharing this special place...

hron said...

Oh Bella . . . wish I could have spent the day wandering through Franklin, WA with you, but your photos and commentary are a "second best". This was an absolutely fascinating blog post!!!! Love the peek into the history of the community, the cemetery and the mine shaft. What a wonderful adventure. Sigh . . . back to reality. Thank you so much.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

This is certainly a beautiful setting. And I think you still get the creep factor. Those old grave markers are amazing.

Merlesworld said...

What a fun day daydreaming of the past and checking out moss covered old foundations.
Merle........ .......... ............

Rose L said...

Teasel weed...I always wondered what it was!
There is a site called find-a-grave which likes people to photograph old graves and record the photos and info online for genealogy research.

Lavender Cottage said...

Definitely a spooky setting for a hike. A good place to use one's imagination for a ghost story though.
Judith

Debbie said...

It felt like an eerie hike as you were describing things. Walking through woods tends to give me the feeling of being followed. I seem to always be looking behind myself, instead of watching where I'm going.
Great photos, Bella.
xo

Haworth said...

What a fascinating walk that must have been, Bella. Your images perfectly capture the melancholy of a town that no longer exists. So very wistful... particularly the overgrown homes and grave stones.