Jun 27, 2014

Eden Rose...

 
I gave my Eden arbor a big
tidying up...
 
treating myself to the remainder of blooms...
 


The Eden Rose's
formal name is Pierre de Ronsard,
in tribute to the famous French Poet...
 
my friends on the other side of the pond
 always remind me of so much...
 


 


 




Pierre de Ronsard (1524-1585), French poet


SONNETS FOR HÉLÈNE

When you are truly old, beside the evening candle,
Sitting by the fire, winding wool and spinning,
Murmuring my verses, you’ll marvel then, in saying,
“Long ago, Ronsard sang to me, when I was beautiful.”

There’ll be no serving-girl of yours, who hears it all,
Even if, tired from toil, she’s already drowsing,
Fails to rouse at the sound of my name’s echoing,
And blesses your name, then, with praise immortal.

I’ll be under the earth, a boneless phantom,
At rest in the myrtle groves of the dark kingdom¹:
You’ll be an old woman hunched over the fire,

Regretting my love for you, your fierce disdain,
So live, believe me: don’t wait for another day,
Gather them now the roses of life, and desire.






 
tonight I am linking to
 
 
Take Time to Smell the Roses...

14 comments:

Jeanette Ann O'Donnell said...

How pretty in your lovely new find crystal Bella. We have planted a Pier de Ronsard climber last August so it hasn't flowered yet. Can't wait for Spring to see it.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Such beautiful bounty! SO lovely in your cut glass. Happy weekend!

Seawashed Kerrie said...

Your Eden roses are breathtaking. I think the Eden rose is one of my favorites. I have had Eden in my thoughts since last September and have wanted to paint the Eden rose or an Abstract and call her Eden...and someday I want an Eden rose in my gardens. We just found a new Nursery in our area that carries David Austin roses!

Janneke said...

The Eden rose is such a beauty, I have it growing against the pole of the dovecote. Most beautiful is how you display these roses in a bowl and in the glasses.

Alessandra said...

The Eden roses are marvellous! Your pictures and the way you always display your wonderful flowers is just gorgeous
Kisses
Alessandra

Rose L said...

such an unusual and colorful rose!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Your Eden roses are so beautiful. It is one of my favorite roses. I have had trouble this year though with mine being almost white--and I notice the ones in the shade are still pink. I wonder if they are getting sun bleached? It is weird. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos.

Heaven's Walk said...

Just beautiful, Bella. My Eden is only on her 2nd year, so she has a way to go yet up and over my arbor. But she is offering up a few blooms this summer. Sooo pretty.

xoxo laurie

Hjem & Glede said...

Hi Bella!
So lovely roses.....marvellous!

Hug Camilla ;)

Deborah Montgomery said...

such gorgeous roses Bella, and so pretty in your new glasses!

Jody and Stan said...

Your roses are just gorgeous! Love them in the beautiful crystal glasses.
Hugs,
Jody

Magda BarwyOgrodu said...

I saw this rose in Warsaw Botanical garden. It's ideal!
Greetings from Warsaw,
m.

Marilyn said...

This is one of my favorite roses. It is just gorgeous!

Sue Marrazzo said...

MY new fave...LOVE these roses!!!