Nov 12, 2014

There Came a Killing Frost...

Our first big frost 
hit last night...

the leaves that were still hanging on the trees
now crisp,
freeze dried are falling rapidly...

luckily,
I snapped a few pics
 a couple days ago...


of my Apple Blossom Camellia
in bloom...

it's a Fall blooming Camellia

but, it was
a complete surprise,
because it has never bloomed like this before...

I had actually thought about pulling it out 
many times...


doesn't it just look like Spring?


especially 
with morning dew...


a stand out
among the mute Autumn shades...


the blooms came and went quickly,
the gardens last hurrah...

right now the thermometer is at 26 degrees,
there was even a teaser of snow in our forecast...

I love Winter,
there is just something about it that excites me...

Stay Warm...

14 comments:

sarah said...

I don't normally like camellias but these are beautiful in their delicate loveliness.

Caroline shabby hideaway said...

I love your camellias....it does look like spring.I bought two for my garden and hope they will make it through winter.We still didn´t have any frost but I´m afraid it´s around the corner lol.
Hugs
Caroline

angie said...

wow, so wunderschöne blüten!!! liebe grüße und einen schönen tag wünscht angie aus deutschland

The Chick Voice said...

So glad to hear that someone else loves winter, and a flower lover as well! Maybe it's just that I love the changes in season, each one bringing a different beauty to the landscape. Here in chilly, snowy Colorado my car said it was -1 this morning, but it was sunny and looked a lot like Christmas.

Beatrice Euphemie said...

A very beautiful way to end the season - so delicate and sweet. My fuchsia were still blooming, too, but had to say goodbye to those. Here we go....I think I hear sleigh bells in the distance! xo Karen

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Pretty gorgeous! Pretty cold! But what a nice surprise for you.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

That's such a beautiful camellia, Bella. I've only seen the fall blooming ones in darker pink.Winter is on it's way. I like it too but just for about the first five minutes! I do look forward to the first snowfall though..Happy Thursday..Judy

Susan Stillwell said...

Your camellia is beautiful, as is the photography! Thanks for sharing.

Alessandra said...

I love winter too. Your flowers are always a totally pleasure for my eyes.
Kisses
Alessandra

Donna said...

What a gorgeous camellia! Good thing you were able to enjoy it before your cold snap!

minwks said...

Good Morning, our first frost here on Boundary Bay, BC Canada. Sunrise cast its pink path across the glistening sands. Ducks, geese and sandpipers are celebrating a new day. We saw a small flock of what we believe we're whistling swans on the tide line a few days ago. We have seen them on rare occasions in nearby fields but never in front of our house.
I do enjoy your posts. The camellia flower is poppy like . I imagine the bees would be happy to visit.
Regards Janine

Madelief said...

Your apple blossom camellia looks beautiful Bella!

Stay warm!

Madelief x

Deborah Montgomery said...

Beautiful pictures of your lovely flowers.

Etty Blue said...

Lovely post!