Apr 26, 2015

Empty Nest Syndrome...

Over the years,
I am sure
 I have shared a few photos
of my Mount Fuji Cherry Tree...
 
 
of all my trees,
I would say it is my favorite...
 
the buds start a fabulous
soft blush tone...
 


and then pop open the purest of whites,
it glows!
 
even better still,
the tree is right outside my kitchen window...
 
I could watch the hummingbirds feeding in it for hours,
it makes doing dishes almost a pleasure...
 


but,
this blurry story is more about this...
 
and
 it started last year,
when an eager squirrel tried to nest in our attic,
she ate a whole right in the side of the house!
 
after evicting her
we hung this nesting box for her...
 
hoping for a compromise...
 


 
then one day
this Spring this little head popped up,
wobbly for a couple second
and quickly tumbled back down...
 



I was fixed to the window...
 
he grew so fast!
 
I did some research
 and learned that here he was probably
about 5 weeks old in this pic....
 


 
after a couple weeks
you could tell the box was getting crowded...
 
mother squirrel
spent most of her time hiding out on the roof...
 


 
then things get really blurry,
cause they happened so fast...
 
she popped out and started moving them...
 
 
I was so sad
and afraid I had intruded...
 
a little more research
told me at this age
they usually move to a new nest...
 
I was so relieved!
 
it has now been a month since they moved out...
 
mother squirrel still comes each day
for some sunflower seeds
and a drink from the pond...
 
I am keeping an eye out for her to bring
the little ones along...
 
 
Happy New Week...

11 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh how sweet Bella. To watch that little family grow.
I had a nest of house wrens on my porch
watched as they built there nest - then little heads popped up and she would feed them and then last week I was looking out the patio door and she was giving them lessons on flapping their wings. Sadly the next day they were gone. She had two little birds. Im sure they are around as I feed them alot.
I love your cherry tree, it is stunning with all those beautiful flowers on it.
Enjoy your week with all your pretty flowers and Mrs. Squirrel.
Mary

Susan Stillwell said...

The tree is gorgeous and I equally enjoyed the squirrel story and pictures!

Julia L. Pomposo said...

Que experiencia tan tierna y tan bonita. Las ardillas son unos animalitos muy alegres y simpáticos y han elegido para vivir uno de los árboles mas bonitos que existen. El cerezo en flor.
Besos desde España

Cranberry Morning said...

How exciting! I love it that you gave the squirrel her own apartment and that she accepted! I have never seen a squirrel move their young. I think we need to give ours a nesting box! Gorgeous tree and lovely tulips in the background. Our faithful McIntosh winter killed last year. It must have been 40+ years and always bore bountifully.

Bobbie Lynn said...

Beautiful tree and that is very intresting about the squirrels. I thought they would stay like the birds in one place. Very adorable photos and thank you for sharing this adorable family with us. : )
Have a wonderful day.
Blessings!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh...and PS, I'm your newest follower! :-)

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh Bella, that is so sweet!! What great photos you captured too.
I have a soft spot in my heart for squirrels because we used to raise them from babies. My dad had a sawmill and our logger's would quite often cut down a tree with a squirrel's nest in it, so they always brought the babies to my mom and she would keep them alive by using a little dropper and when they got old enough we let them go. They were so precious!
Have a great week,
Gina

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a nature observer you are! But seems like you have a front row seat at your kitchen window. I hope you feel good to have given your boarder a new place after the eviction! Bravo! The cherry blossoms are so beautiful!

Rose L said...

I was worried at first that you were going to report the untimely demise of your tree! Then I worried that the squirrels had caused damage to electric wires or more. Now it is good to know all are safe!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely post, photos and story. Nice to know that you were not the cause of the move.

Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

Alessandra said...

Beautiful tree. The squirrel and the story are so sweet.
Hugs
Alessandra