Mar 14, 2017

My House History part two...

I am so glad
 I have finally gotten around
to making these posts of my houses history...
and I am so glad you are enjoying them!
 
I hope to do some more posts soon
 before and after shots side by side...
a big post showing the gardens progress...
 
for that I am going to have to dig through actual photos!
I moved here 17 years ago
and not everything is on digital!
 
Are you ready for
part two?
 
if you missed part one it is HERE....
 


here I am
the proud new owner!
 
at this point of life
I had only owned a brand new house...
 
I had never came face to face with
dry rot
plaster
or mastic..
 
I had a big education coming!
 
but
 I was grinning ear to ear,
and that feeling has never stopped!
 

 
 
I moved in in September
so it only seemed fitting to
take advantage of the scare factor
and do it up for Halloween...
 
I met many neighbors that night.
Many told me tales of my house...
many believed it was haunted...
 
a lot of children wouldn't even come up onto the porch...
 
this is hardly the case now
with its pink exterior....
 

 
so I set into what was a good five years of hard labor
it was a labor of love...
 
Winters I worked inside
Summers outside...
 
The house was very outdated,
many rooms had no electricity
except for a ceiling light...
 
the floors were all covered in layers of linoleum...
this was good and bad!
it was a lot of work removing the linoleum
but the fir floors below hadn't been used!
 
when I pulled the first layer of sheet linoleum from the kitchen floor
you could see a paths worn into the linoleum below...
a path from the woodstove to the sink,
and to the countertop...
 
The Kitchen Work Triangle
was plainly worn right into my floor... 
 



wallpaper came down
to expose the plaster walls...
 

 
 
this was a couple years into the garden design...
 
a brick wall was added in the alley,
and I laid brick paths...
 
I started on the left side of the yard
knowing I want to add a gazebo and pond...
 
the table sits were the gazebo is today
and to the right of it you can see where
 I cut a line in the grass to outline the ponds edge...
 


I worked the perimeter
making flower beds...
 
it was my goal to have no grass in the back garden...
 
I would cut the grass very short
lay cardboard over it to smother the grass
and top it with about 6 inches of compost,
then let it set.
 
each year I try to add
a few inches of compost to the garden.
I have never used any chemicals...
 


 
Mike and I dug the pond by hand!
 

 
 
the process was not pretty!

we put in plumbing and a liner
the pond is 8000 gallons...
 

 
 
then the gazebo!
 
one of my very favorite additions...
 

 
I thought I would end this post showing a few pretty photos
of the finish projects...
 
this Mount Rainier Cheery tree is the tree behind me
in the photo above
when I was building this flower bed....
 

 
 
the gazebo on a perfect Summers day....
 



 
this photo of the house
isn't too new...
 
the door and shutters have now been painted...
 
I really need to work
 on getting long shots of the house and garden...
 
its on my list for
this year....

 
 
I really do need new photos..
this little cherry three is huge now!
 
Thanks for coming along
on my tour...
I hope to make more posts like this soon!
 
 
 I am linking up to

 
Thank You for Stopping By...

22 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh Bella, your house is coming out simply magazine gorgeous ! You two are very talented and so clever to be able to do so much of the labor of love, which it is !
Congrats, it's warm, lovely and inviting.
I can't wait to see the inside décor too.
FABBY

Pamela Gordon said...

I have always loved your house and gardens Bella. The history of your house is so interesting and I know you've done a lot of hard work to make this gem shine again. I hope you share the inside too. Beautiful!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh my, you have certainly come a long way on your beautiful Victorian home. Your gardens are stunning also. Looking forward to more photo's of home and garden.

Have a great rest of the week.

Mary

Bernideen said...

You sure did an outstanding job - just beautiful!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Oh, Bella. What a transformation. You had a dream and it certainly came true! You did a lot of work and, having restored an old house, know it isn't easy. What a beautiful job you have done and the garden is truly a masterpiece. You have wonderful old pictures to follow and the history of your town is fascinating. You have a work of art to be very proud of..Happy Tuesday..Judy

Judy said...

Wow that was a lot of work, but your garden turns out wonderful . I drool over your garden.. thank you for showing us your hard work..I will wait for those long shots.

mariondee-designs said...

Wow, I can only dream of owning a home like yours! I can see why you fell in love with it because I would have too! I really enjoyed your journey and can relate to doing a lot of the work. We renovated our home but it doesn't have the character your home does.. I am hoping one day I will find one when it's time to move. Your gardens are just glorious and never tire of your photos. I would love to see more progress pics of your home!
take care, Maryann

Carrie B. said...

Catching up on these posts and I find it all so fascinating!! Thanks for sharing so much! In another post would you share if you have had any weird experiences? - since it is such an old house. Did you ever find anything - like in a hidden cubby, from Rose? I just love and treasure old homes like yours.

And I commend you on all the amazing work you have done through the years! I LOVE all of the changes you made and have always thought you have some of the prettiest gardens I've ever seen.

Just such a treat and gobbled these posts right up. Blessings to you. xoxo

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a wonderful commitment...and such a beautiful result. I am in love with my house and garden too, so I completely understand how much this means to you. Beautiful!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Oh my gosh Bella, what you have done is just totally amazing! Gorgeous! Wow! Such the gardener you are! So glad you shared this work of art with us.
Have a great week,
Gina

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Amazing, amazing! The amount of work you have done is astounding. You are so lucky to have so much info from the early days. It's just a dream that so many folks have of owning a beautiful old cottage like this. So fantastic to see the photos of your work in progress. Must be so gratifying for you. And even so much more beautiful now! I am so impressed. I am so glad to see your hard work and the wonderful transformation you have achieved. Congratulations!

http://deezie-sunshinedeezines.blogspot.com/ said...

Good morning Bella
I don't even know where to begin, your house is amazing. The work you have done, you have made it beautiful. Your garden is also amazing, that pond oh my goodness its huge. The gazebo is fabulous. I would love to see a part 3 and 4. I am sure you are so proud of yourself for the work you have done on your beautiful home***
deezie

Susan said...

Wow! What a fabulous transformation, Bella. Gorgeous. You have done a marvelous job. Can't wait to see more photos and read more about the changes you made to your very beautiful home. Susan

Wende Kirckhoff said...

Hi....I have so enjoyed your journey..I can only imagine what it's taken to bring your home back to life..I bet the neighborhood is delighted you bought that house..an the trick or treaters too..your foxglove are so pretty an tall..they're one of my absolute favorites..but I have a hard time getting them to grow for some reason here in MD..you must be so proud of yourself for all the work you've done inside an out..an that pond..by hand..holy cow.!!..I look forward to seeing your photos of the gardens as they matured..you've inspired me to get my landscaping done that I've always had in the back of my mind..time to move it to the front an get busy..Thanks so much for sharing your progress over the yrs.....Wende

Bonnie Schulte said...

If I didn't see this before and after, really, I wouldn't believe it. What a beautiful and awesome job you have done on the yard and your home. Truly, this looks like a professional landscaper did this. And your pool, that you both shoveled out. WOW! What very hard, difficult work that must have been. Scraping off wall paper, Yikes, not easy for sure. And everything else you have done in the home. You are amazing!! I enjoyed this post very very much, and so happy that you shared with all of us. Thanks from WI.

Alessandra said...

Amazing, gorgeous, fabulous transformation! You did a awesome jog. I really enjoyed the history of your victorian home
Hugs Alessandra

NanaDiana said...

I am on a short vacation away from home but saw this pop up on FB and wanted you to know how much I love it and what a wonderful job you have done there. Everything is beautiful....Bless you, Bella!!! xo Diana

Rose L said...

Wow! So much work but the rewards are wonderful. You two created a lovely home. A huge yard!

Gentle Joy said...

What a stunningly beautiful home! This colors are perfect and the yard is such a peaceful sanctuary. Thank you for sharing this. :)

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, Bella, a labor of love, for sure! It has turned out so beautiful! It must be so fulfilling to look back and see all that you have done. Everything is gorgeous! xx Karen

The Charm of Home said...

How amazing! So you created the garden! I agree that a garden with no grass in the backyard would be fabulous! So lovely and all that hard work has paid off! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin from The Dedicated House said...

I just discovered your lovely blog! Your house is stunning and the gardens are gorgeous! You have done an amazing job! Congratulations! My Great Aunt had a Victorian House in Harrison Arkansas very similar to yours. While she owned it, it was painted white and would look amazing in the winter with snow on the ground. Thank you for sharing. Feel free to share any of your posts at my Make it Pretty party which is currently live. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2017/03/make-pretty-monday-week-210.html Have a lovely weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse