Mar 13, 2017

The History of My House...

 This is a post
I have been meaning to write
for years!...
 
today I am going to share with you
 my houses history...
 
I think when you own an old house
you feel the history...
 
the walls do indeed talk,
you wonder about the lives
 who shared these walls with you...
 
it's all so romantic...
 
it also turns you into a sort of Nancy Drew,
maybe my title would be
"The Mystery of Bella's Rose Cottage"
lol
 
 
 

 
it all began with this snapshot...
I just loved old houses
and would often take photos of them...
 
this was the first time I saw it...
 
and I thought to my self
I really would like to buy this one
 take it back to its glory
to fill all that empty space with a garden...
 
 
I kept my eye on it
for quite awhile...
 
made an occasional detour just to drive by it,
hoping to see a real estate sign...
 
there was a joke
that this was my War of the Roses house...
Remember Barbara Rose Just had to have that house?
 
ironically...
with my recent divorce
maybe this whole movie played out before my eyes...
 
 

 
well it happened!
A dream come true!
 
you have no idea how excited I was!



while I toured the my house
(I knew it would be mine the moment I walked in)
 
I saw this book
of the towns history....
 


the book was 
opened conveniently to this page...
 
is that not amazing?
 
you did notice the first lady of the houses name
was ROSE!
 
fate!
 


 
as I read on
I learned the town
is one of those small towns
with stories...
 
the kind that get passed down
and might be exaggerated....
 
but, oh that second paragraph,
there is that romance...
 


 
more interesting town facts....
 

 
 
Rose must be here somewhere....
 
aren't they beautiful!
 


I found this and the above photo
 in a local antique store...
 
this was my town in 1947
 
my house is there in the lower right hand corner....
 



see it here?
 
and my little shed you know from my photos
is there to the left of the house,
it had a false western front back then!
 
the building behind that was still here
 when I bought the house...
it was so run down and leaning so hard
I had in burned down...
 


an amazing photo
of old Main Street...
 
wooden sidewalks!
 
which I also found in an antique store...
 

 
I also used to collect
books of old floor plans
and old interior design...
 
I bought this one about a year after my house...
 

 
imagine
how completely thrilled I was to see this
the floor plan to my house!!!
 
Did you see Rose Freeman there in the drawing ;)
 
I will be back tomorrow
with The History of My House Part Two...
 
I am linking up to...




 
 
Thanks for visiting with me today...

13 comments:

Deb said...

What an interesting house you live in! I love old houses and their history. Does the porch wrap around just the front of the house? Can't wait to read the rest of the story tomorrow!

Connie said...

What an interesting old house story! I can't miss tomorrow!

Victorian1885 said...

What a great post Bella! I can't wait to read part2 tomorrow...
The oldest house we have owned is 1912 and I went to the local archives and found names and occupations of all of the owners throughout the years...what fun it was!
Your home is lovely....
Hugs,
Wanda

Juanita B said...

I am so enveloped in the history of your home. I saw many wonderful old houses when I was a child and ALWAYS wanted to go inside but, never did. I grew up in Jamaica, Queens, NY. It was a wonderful place. Then along came the 1950's and things started changing drastically. We lived in a semi-attached and I can remember at 8 years of age imaging breaking through the joining wall and making a wonderful big house! I can't wait to read the rest of your story, it is like a wonderful old book I stumbled upon. TFS. Juanita in OH.

LV said...

Loved hte history so far. Look forward to next chapter.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

You are so very lucky! I have had the same dream forever and at this point in my life the dream for me won't ever come true so I have to be content in making this house as Victorian as I can. So glad you shared its history with us, and so glad it is yours to make all pretty!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Bella, your home is beautiful and what a wonderful history to find. You certainly have make the gardens stunning.

Looking forward to part 2 of your home.

Mary

http://deezie-sunshinedeezines.blogspot.com/ said...

Good Morning Bella
Oh my goodness that was such fun and so interesting. The house was meant to be yours* its so beautiful. Can't wait to hear the rest. Loved all those old pictures
deezie

Junkchiccottage said...

How fun to learn about the history of your beautiful home. It is so great to see someone really fall in love with the bones and history of this home. The house knew you would be the good caregiver to her. I too love to think about all the families that have lived in these old homes and carved out lives within the walls. Can't wait to see what you post for part two.
Hugs,
Kris

Gentle Joy said...

Such a fun mystery-pursuing the background of your house... so interesting. :)

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh my goodness, Bella! How wonderful to have all that history of your home! If only walls could talk........Amazing about the original owners being connected to Abraham Lincoln. The house has such good 'bones' - truly a charming design. I'm so glad that your dreams came true and now this home is yours. xo Karen

The Charm of Home said...

How wonderful you found out all of this history on your house. I will check out your next post. I have often wondered if you planted the garden yourself. So beautiful, all of it! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

This is awesome! Exactly how I feel about our house - ours is not old enough for the 'historic' houses here - she's 103ish; but, she is our dream home. Loved this. Thank you for sharing with Home and Garden Thursday, you will be featured today - I'm explaining too the delay to the publishing of my party and what happened to my website.

Blessings,

Kathy