Jan 27, 2014

Fancy Iced Cookies, the Easy Way... again!

 
Since the sweetest time of the year
 is coming up soon...
 
I thought I would re-share my
Fancy Cookie Tutorial...
 
it is a very old post
from my first year blogging...
 
but,
it is my most popular post
and also my most pinned on Pinterest...
 
I tweaked my photos a bit,
and added a tutorial button,
 otherwise
it's a blast from the past...
 
 
Since,
 So many of you
love sugar cookies as much as I do,
I thought I would share my
easy way to make fancy iced cookies....
 

I first saw this on Martha Stewart.
and it's so mess free
I do it at my dining room table,
leaving my tablecloth on
just using parchment paper as a work surface...
 
 
An important first step
is the cookies must be completely cooled.
I bake one day and decorate the next...
 


I am a complete klutz with an icing bag.
I dream of making lovely icing roses
but so far it's not going too well...

So this is the part I saw on Martha Stewart
you use these mini squeeze bottles by Wilton.
They sell them at all the craft stores
 in the cake decorating isle.

They make it clean and fun just like coloring :-)

I use Royal Icing
I make it thinner than this so it flows easily from the bottle
and I mix it for 7 minutes in the kitchen-aid mixer
on a low speed.

A batch fills four bottles.
 
 
You dam the edges first,
I work in small batches
because you want the icing to set a bit before the next step...

If you want multi colored cookies,
just divide the areas with an icing line now
then your colors won't run together...
 
 
 
Then you flood them,
I drag the tip of the bottle in the icing
to help spread the icing and get air bubbles out.
 

You want to add your sugars and sprinkles
while the icing is wet so everything sticks.

If you are using sanding sugars
you can do that right away..

If you want to use heavier sprinkles
like pearls of dragees
let it set just a minute, so they don't sink too much...
 
 
Fancy, easy and fun :-)
 
I will add...
my most common question is
"where do I buy the squeeze bottles?"
they are made by Wilton,
and available in two packs
at all the major craft store in the baking isle...
or at Amazon here...
 
happy baking...
 
I will be linking up to...
 
 
 
 
 
Be Sweet...

32 comments:

Bernideen said...

You have done a masterful job! They are lovely!

Mari said...

They are not only yummy, but beautiful too ;-)
Great treats for the month of love!

Smiles~
Mari

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Thanks so much on your decorating the heart shape cookies - they look terrific and I learned some great tips. thanks so much and they look so good.
Mary

Lee Dewsnap said...

Oh, so pretty Bella, I love both the sugar crystals and the pretty little pearls.

Lee :)

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I adore your cookies--they are so pretty. I love sugar cookies even though they are so bad for me! Oh well, Valentines day is only once a year :)

Jeanette Ann O'Donnell said...

You decorate them so lovely Bella. I made them when I first saw them on your blog,but they didn't look as neat as yours because the bottles I used I bought here in Australia and the tops popped off when I squeezed them. I got into a terrible mess. I just tried buying them on Amazon,but they won't ship to Australia. I will have to check a few more places to see if I can get those special ones. x

amorporlovintage said...

Bella eres muy buena repostera , esos dulces estan riquisimos , besos.

Alessandra said...

Mmmm...so delicious and pretty! The decors are marvellous and very romantic
Kisses
Alessandra

BrocanteuseRose said...

Almost to pretty to eat, almost. :)

Betty W said...

Very beautiful cookies. My Granddaughter would love to make them with me.

Scrap for Joy said...

This is the most helpful tutorial I've seen for icing cut-out cookies. They are beautiful with the silver dragees on them. I'm pinning this so I remember the steps! Thanks,Bella!
xoxo
Joyce

Deborah Montgomery said...

Beautiful cookies Bella! and a wonderful tutorial. I learned some new tips, like outlining with frosting first. (kind of like lip liner!)

Fishtail Cottage said...

these are beautiful! xoxo

Beatrice Euphemie said...

These are sweet, Bella - the perfect little treat for a special someone. <3 I know a special someone that loves sugar cookies! Thank you for sharing your techniques - they make decorating so simple. Love the squeeze bottle idea! I'm not sure I can create such pretty cookies, displayed as lovely as yours, but I thank you for sharing these! Hugs xo Karen

Stephanie said...

There are almost too pretty to eat :) Thanks for sharing with us - hugs!

Amy Jo said...

These are so pretty! I am going to have to make these for my daughters wedding.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Very pretty, and very doable!! Thanks for the good tips! They're lovely! ~Zuni

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

The prettiest Valentine cookies around! I wish we lived next door to each other! I would sneak some.

Haworth said...

I just love this recipe, Bella, and your decorating tutorial is so helpful. Thank you for reminding me it's time to make them! Wishing you a lovely week.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Ok, this is totally amazing, I love this and I am definitely going to ice my cookies. How smart. Love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What pretty cookies with a wonderful tutorial! I need to get me some of those bottles. Have a beautiful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

They look YUMMY and so very pretty! Thanks so much for sharing Bella, I'll be trying these! So happy to have you at AMAZE ME MONDAY, you're being featured so hop back over tomorrow!
Blessings,
Cindy

Eliza Beth said...

Hi Bella,
I will definitely try those cokes - they are too darling for words! Thank you for the show-and-tell instructions to make it easy for me:)

{northern cottage} said...

yum yum yum - happily pinned them!! i want to eat the WHOLE BATCH! do you have any left? :)

♥ NORTHERN COTTAGE
http://www.NorthernCottage.net

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

My daughter and I were just talking about making special iced heart-shaped cookies - these would be perfect! I do appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Thank you for all the great tips! Your cookies are lovely! :)

Judy K said...

Those cookies are absolutely beautiful. I will be featuring this tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Savannah Smiles Stationery said...

Thank you so much for this post! The cookies look absolutely french and soooo delicious!

The Charm of Home said...

Beautiful!
Sherry

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Definitely going to do this! Beautiful cookies! So delighted you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Carole's Cay said...

Hi Bella, Thanks for sharing this again. I appreciate the tips and I think I might be actually able to accomplish this.
The cookies look scrumptious. Luv Luv Luv Sugar cookies! Yum!

NanaDiana said...

Very Pretty, Bella. It is so nice to see you posting so much again! Love it! Have a wonderful night- xo Diana